There’s a solution for that! It's called, 'lots of time.' – 2 minute read

One of the best investments that I made this year is a subscription to www.safaribooksonline.com, an online library for technical books.   I’m working my way through the videos for Querying Data with Transact-SQL - Exam 70-761 Certification Training by Mark Long.  I got a good laugh from one of his comments: while talking about how important it is for database developers to have a good knowledge of the data that they’re working with, he said, “There’s is a solution for that!  It’s called ‘lots of time.’   After you spend lots of time with your data set, you get to know it better and better and become more proficient.”

Well, I recently had a slightly different problem:  I wanted to install Node.js 8.9.1 (the current LTS version) on my Ubuntu laptop.   Since most of my OS knowledge is on Windows, I simply wasn’t able to get it to work.

Then I remembered Mark’s wisdom: “There’s is a solution for that!  It’s called ‘lots of time.’”  I spent a couple of days learning Docker (also on Safari) and, lo and behold, I can now get Node.js 8.9.1, Redis, MySQL, PHP, and basically any other technology onto my laptop quickly:



Hey, what’s a couple of days of effort when the payoff is lattes while I create?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Optional object property access

A short guide to cross-site request forgery attacks

How is an application like a bride's outfit? - 1 minute read