SQL is just SQL . . . until it isn't

My latest project is a web application that tells you the asset allocation ofyour investment portfolio.  Happily, I just finished getting my Exam 70-761: Querying Data with Transact-SQL certification, so I thought that I’ll use a SQL database for the project. 

One of the cooler features that I learned about while studying for my exam is a feature called temporal tables.  Temporal tables allow you to see what the data used to look like.

It's a feature that is baked in to SQL Server 2016 and has been ANSI standard since 2011.  I thought that they would be really useful feature to show how the asset allocation changed over time.  Want to see what your portfolio looked like at the end of 2012?  Great Scott!! With temporal tables, you can!!


Unfortunately, they aren’t standard in PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL is my DB engine of economic necessity, and it doesn't support temporal tables out of the box (there are extensions that you can use to make it happen, but my hosting won’t allow you to install extensions).  Alas . . . I’ll just have to get the data the long way . . . 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Optional object property access

A short guide to cross-site request forgery attacks

How is an application like a bride's outfit? - 1 minute read